Friday, June 26, 2009

Why do it?

I decided to create an app because it was something I thought I would be able to do. I have a lot of great ideas for apps and I figured I would try and share them with the world. About 3 months ago I decided to go ahead and take the plunge.

The first thing I did was look around on craigslist for a Mac computer (as that is required). I found an old EMac for a pretty good price, (it's for sale if you want it). Then I joined the Apple development program and went to the book store to get a book on programming. Then I spent about 2 months trying to teach myself how to code in C++.

After getting to the point where I thought I could actually do this, I had to get a new computer. Turns out, to develop on the iPhone you have to a newer style Mac computer (one that doesn't use an Intel Chipset). So, I got me a nice little Mac mini computer. Then I hit the programming hard. I spent hours trying to get it work.

At one point I almost gave up because it wasn't working and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Turns out I had forgotten to put a "@" in one place and it totally broke the code. So, I finally got everything working and managed to get the app to the point where I feel I can share it.

I know there are still a few more things I can add in, I know I need to fix the random number generator part so that it doesn't repeat as much but I am working on it. I just can't wait until Apple approves the app so I can get it out there into everyone's hands. So, far I have been showing it off to everyone (even random people that I meet in stores), but they can't buy it yet. It has been almost 2 days and from what I hear, I have about 8 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment